Gluten & dairy free
A quick, easy-to-prepare Chinese inspired recipe invented by street food vendors. The name “bang bang” originated from the vendors banging the chicken to flatten and shred for mouthwatering meals. This scrumptious salad and is perfect for a picnic or BBQ and sure to impress!
The Mustard Family Foods frozen Bang Bang Sauce, also sold within our Summer Sauce Box is downright mouth wateringly delicious, versatile and doesn’t need to be heated. Simply defrost overnight in the fridge and you are ready to get creative.
Bang Bang Chicken Salad Recipe
This recipe is gluten and dairy free; however if you don’t fancy using chicken, it would be just as delicious with prawns, or If you’re vegan or vegetarian, omit the protein and add rice noodles to make an Asian Rice Noodle Salad.
- 50 ml Sesame oil
- 1 Bag Mustard Family Foods Bang Bang Sauce
- ½ Cucumber, halved, deseeded, and thinly sliced into 6cm batons
- 8 Radishes, finely sliced
- 1 Large carrot, peeled into ribbons
- 6 Spring onions, thinly sliced on the angle
- 2 Baby gem lettuce, leaves separated, washed
- 1 Large handful of mange tout finely sliced lengthways
- ½ Fresh red chilli, deseeded and thinly sliced
- 1 Handful of fresh washed coriander leaves
- 1 Tsp of toasted sesame seeds
- 1 Handful of roughly chopped peanuts or cashew nuts
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp Rice wine vinegar
- 4 Tbsp olive oil
- Heat the oven to 180c, place the skinless chicken breasts onto a flat tray, drizzle with sesame oil and season with salt and cracked black pepper.
- Place into the oven and cook for 30 mins, check there are no pink bits, remove and allow to cool slightly before carefully shredding into bite size pieces.
- Measure the soy sauce, rice wine vinegar and olive oil into an empty jam jar and shake (lid on) to make a quick dressing for the salad.
- Place the shredded chicken into a clean bowl, then open the Mustard Family Foods Bang Bang Sauce and add to the chicken, mix well to combine.
- Tear the washed baby gem leaves into a large bowl, add all other cut vegetables, pour over the dressing and carefully toss to evenly combine.
- Place the salad onto individual plates or one large serving plate, add the bang bang dressed chicken on top, then finish with toasted sesame seeds, chopped peanuts or cashew nuts and fresh coriander leaves.
Once you have made the carrot ribbons, finely sliced the spring onion and mange tout, place into a bowl of ice-cold water to make extra crunchy!
Also don’t forget to use all the beautiful cooking juices from the chicken; these can be poured into the Bang Bang Sauce for extra flavour!
Bang Bang Sauce Nutritionals:
Writer profile: Katie Brooke Green
After honing her skills at Westminster Kingsway, culinary competitions and the kitchens of many high end restaurants, it was a drive for new challenges whilst fusing her talents of a fine art degree that led to moving into food and product development. Having developed and launched many products with top retailers, Waitrose and M&S, working with established manufacturers, airline and food delivery services, as well as heading up food development at prominent restaurants groups such as The Ivy Collection.